Acupuncture is a complementary therapy that has been used to support In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment for many years. Acupuncture involves the insertion of thin, sterile needles into specific points on the body. These points are believed to correspond to different organs and systems in the body, and stimulating them is thought to promote healing and balance.
There are several ways in which acupuncture may work to support IVF treatment:
- Improve blood flow to the uterus: Acupuncture can improve blood flow to the uterus, which can help to nourish the developing embryo and increase the chances of implantation.
- Reduce stress and anxiety: IVF can be a stressful and emotional process, and stress can negatively impact fertility. Acupuncture has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, which can improve the chances of a successful IVF cycle.
- Regulate hormones: Acupuncture may help to regulate hormones, which can improve the quality of eggs and increase the chances of successful fertilization.
- Improve the lining of the uterus: Acupuncture can help to thicken the lining of the uterus, which can improve the chances of implantation.
- Support overall health: Acupuncture is a holistic therapy that aims to support overall health and wellness. By improving the overall health of the body, acupuncture may improve fertility and increase the chances of a successful IVF cycle.
What to expect during an acupuncture session for IVF:
- During an acupuncture session for IVF, the acupuncturist will insert thin, sterile needles into specific points on the body. The needles are typically left in place for 30 minutes, and patients may feel a slight tingling or sensation of warmth during the treatment.
- Acupuncture is generally considered safe when performed by a qualified and licensed practitioner.
- The number and frequency of acupuncture sessions will vary depending on the individual and their specific needs. Some people may benefit from weekly sessions leading up to the IVF cycle, and may need a few sessions before and after the procedure.
Acupuncture is a complementary therapy that can be used to support IVF treatment. While acupuncture is not a substitute for medical treatment or advice from a healthcare provider, it can be a valuable complement to IVF and other fertility treatments. By improving blood flow, reducing stress and anxiety, regulating hormones, and supporting overall health, acupuncture may increase the chances of a successful IVF cycle and help to create a healthy pregnancy and baby.